Warning to men: you will not like this week’s post. Please return to your previously scheduled program. See you next week.
There is quite a bit of irony in this post. I hope you enjoy it. When I was a teenager I didn’t have acne on my face and therefore did not suffer the humiliation of going to school with blemishes however; this changed in adulthood. I have suffered from adult acne all my life, plus any small bump will be picked and played with until it is a giant flashing zit on my face. This is a nervous habit of mine. I’m told everyone has a nervous habit. Some people twist their hair etc but apparently almost all of us have an outlet for our nervousness. This is mine.
Now that I am 53, even though I still have an occasional outbreak, my skin is really pretty good. People ask me how I got such beautiful skin and I just crack up laughing which isn’t very polite but seriously it’s ridiculous. The good thing is now I really don’t have serious wrinkles but I do have excellent makeup. I also suffer from Rosacea which is a common skin ailment.
So because several lovely and supportive people have asked me what my secrets are, I’m going to reveal them now.
Several years ago, I was looking for a good concealer (because I had so much to conceal) and my director at the time showed me hers made by MAC. I went to buy it and was extremely pleased with it. It’s called Studio Finish. While I was there I saw women getting “makeovers”. When I had one, it was a wonderful experience. When I was a young wife, it was out of the question to be buying department store products, drug store was the best I could afford and because I was young it didn’t really matter to me. MAC products are more expensive than drug store but less expensive than other department store brands.
Now that I was a “certain age” it did matter. The artist Joelle did a fabulous job, matching my skin tone to the foundation, introducing me to some great products and I came out of there feeling like a million dollars. While being a single Mom to three boys there as not a lot of me time but this one hour of pampering relaxed me and allowed me to focus on myself. Also, we tend to do the same makeup day after day for decades. I needed to update my look. The reaction when I went to work was amazing. It was so much fun, I have treated my friends to makeovers on a regular basis because it costs $50 but is free if you buy this much product. When I need to buy product, I either treat myself or a friend.
Once I brought a young friend of mine who had just broken up with her boyfriend for a makeover to cheer her up. She normally does not wear makeup but is a lovely girl. When she came out of that makeover she looked like a model straight off a Cosmo magazine cover. Of course, it made me feel like I was about 80 years old looking at her but hey, more points for heaven. She went out that night and her ex-boyfriend was there and it really helped her self confidence to know how great she looked. I’m sure I’m going to get comments about inner beauty and all that and that’s fine and true but most of us like to look good especially in front of our ex’s. (BTW - they are back together and planning to get married).
Here are my “tricks”.
1. Always moisturize before putting on foundation (including your eye lids)
2. Always use a foundation brush, fingers don’t do a good job. You can use a sponge also and use it sparingly. People tend to put too much foundation on.
3. Use the MAC paint tubes for the eyes as it makes the eye makeup stay in put all day.
4. Use the concealer on the inside of the bridge of the nose close to the eye, around the creases of the nose and anywhere else you want to hide and take away dark circles.
5. I use NeoStrata’s Smoothing lotion for my moisturizer . They sell it in oil or oil free versions. It is a serious exfoliator and your skin will be dramatically smoother in days.
6. I use Rosacure for my Rosacea. It is an oil free gel I use on my checks and nose.
7. I use Neostrata Wrinkle Repair for under my eyes.
8. For my lips I use Neostrata Anti-wrinkle lip enhancer (it is also a plumper)
9. My foundation is MAC Studio Fix Fluid with SPF 15
10. My tan is fake - I use L’Oreal Sublime Glow Daily Moisturizer and Skin Tone Enhancer. It is subtle and makes your skin shimmer.
11. I stay out of the sun because of the Rosacea and the aging affects of the sun except for 15 minutes to get vitamin D.
They say that at 40 you have the face you deserve based on the life and attitude you have had. Apparently it requires less facial muscles to smile than to frown and I smile a lot.
Now you know all my tricks and I hope there is something here you can use if you’re interested and if not, I’m sure you are just naturally beautiful. Unfortunately I need a little help…… Regardless, find your own way to make time for yourself and create positive energy - you deserve it.
- Rambo Mom
- Blondes DO have more fun!
- Naturopathy – The Program
- Funny Stories: Golf Dorval
- Being an Orphan
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.